Anyone who has an AC must at least know the basics of how to maintain air conditioners at home. This helps us feel confident that the AC will remain working efficiently all year round, anytime of the day. Sure, you need to call a professional contractor for assistance in maintenance every few months or so, but it is also great to know the basics of how to do it on your own.
1. Understand the type of AC: First, try and understand the kind of air conditioner you have at home. Is it a window AC or split AC? Understanding its types can help improve its working as you will be better aware of things that you should consider while washing and repairing the AC.
A proper AC capacity is vital to beat the heat of the summer without drastically increasing the electricity bill. An air conditioner with lower than required capacity will consume more of electricity and have a decreased lifespan and the same implied with the AC of high capacity. Therefore, it is crucial to find the right size of AC for your room.
To calculate the right size of AC for your room, first, calculate the area of the room and then divide it by 600. It means that a 100 sq.feet will need an AC with a basic capacity of 0.167 tons (100/600). This is the capacity of the AC that you need to keep a room cool in summer for a person. But, if five people share the room, you will need AC with 0.8 tons capacity. This, however, is suitable for a room that is exposed to mild to moderate summer heat.
For room or house, that experiences 45 degrees temperature outside in summertime will need an extra 0.5 ton for additional cooling. In short, the proper AC capacity for a room largely depends on factors including – size, number of occupants, and the geographic location of the room.
Remember this simple rule – it is always better to have an AC with a higher capacity for a room size than one with lower capacity; however, choosing the right size AC for a room is always top priority. But of course, you wouldn’t really install an AC meant for a large office for a tiny bedroom, right?
There is, of course, a range of ACs available in the market with an energy efficiency rating. Investing in them can save you money on electricity bills. In case you are buying AC for the first time, you can always ask the retailers to recommend an AC with the best suitable capacity for your room. However, it is essential to note, just like any electrical appliances, AC requires regular service and maintenance for effective cooling. You may find the right AC capacity for your room. But, without proper maintenance, the AC may not work effectively and add to the utility bill.
The ventilation of the house is as important as hygiene. Lack of ventilation can enhance the growth of bad bacteria inside the house leading to an endless number of bacterial health issues. So, here we are with few tips to help improve the ventilation system of your house.
1. Allow fresh air: Open up windows and doors to allow fresh airflow within the house. A lot of people forget to regularly open doors or windows to let fresh air in and push stale air out. Simply opening doors and windows a few times during the day to “air out” your house quickly replaces stale indoor air with fresh outdoor air, getting rid of pollutants, allergens, and excess moisture.
2. Dry laundry outside: Wet clothes can add to bacterial growth in the house if the ventilation is not properly maintained. Make sure to hand the wet clothes to dry outside in sun. You can also put the laundry to dry under roof outside such as a patio cover if it is raining outside.
3. Extract fans and attic fans: Extractor fans and attic vents are specialized ventilation systems that service certain areas in the home. Extractor fans that vent out into the open air should be installed in kitchens, laundries, and bathrooms – these are the key areas where moisture and stale air build up much faster.
4. Ceiling fans and window fans: In addition to the extract fans that improve your overall air, traditional fans can ensure that the air continues to circulate. Window fans are especially useful for this purpose.
5. Install Home Ventilation System: A well-designed and well-installed home ventilation system provides great ventilation regardless of what the weather is like outside, which is a great alternative to simply opening doors and windows.
Proper ventilation is one of the home’s basic necessities for becoming a comfortable living space. Ventilation maintains air quality in the home. And so anytime you need help with ventilation maintenance and repairs, always call a licensed HVAC tech for assistance.